Finalizing Settlements

I have an Uncontested Divorce or my Contested Divorce is Settled.  Now What?

If you have an uncontested divorce or a contested divorce that has been settled, you may be wondering: now what? The next step in the divorce process is to appear before your assigned judge for an uncontested final hearing. This article addresses what happens, where to go, what to wear, and what to bring.

Where and How Long?

Your hearing will be short (typically less than five minutes) and likely scheduled at the same time as other uncontested final hearings. You will need to appear at the courtroom listed on the Notice of Hearing and bring your Florida Drivers License. It is important to arrive on time for court. We strongly recommend that you give sufficient time to proceed through security at the courthouse.

What to Bring?

Please dress appropriately for court. While business attire is not required, we recommend a minimum of slacks and a button-down shirt for men and slacks or skirt with a blouse or a dress for women. Shorts are not permitted and will likely result in your hearing being rescheduled.

What Will Happen?

At the time of the final hearing, you will be asked a series of questions from either your attorney or the judge, depending on the manner in which the judge elects to conduct the hearing. The questions will center on whether you meet the jurisdictional requirements for a Florida divorce such as residency, whether your marriage is irretrievably broken, and whether your marital settlement agreement was signed freely, voluntarily and you intend to be bound by it.

Will I be Divorced?

Absent any unusual circumstances, at the conclusion of the hearing, the judge will likely sign the Final Judgment of Dissolution of Marriage and you will be divorced.  You will likely receive a conformed (stamped) copy in court. To obtain a certified copy of your Final Judgment, you will need to purchase one from the Clerk of the Circuit Court.

For more information about uncontested final hearings in divorce cases, please contact our office.